Monday, September 25, 2006

emergency preparedness

This summer I gave in. I am not a gadgets person. I'm not a label person. I prefer simple letter blocks to the new-fangled learning bells-and-whistle alphabet circus they sell these days. I do not let companies advertise on my children. But, well...

It was a family affair complete with baby and dad. Since baby was hungry and fussy I left Ben at the shoe store to go sit on the floor in the public bathroom and nurse. (Yes, yes, that was me you saw sitting there, back against the wall, cool as a cumcumber and cold too, actually, feeding my child, but possibly making you uncomfortable.) When I got back to the store the girls had made their choices. I handed the baby to Ben and began my amazing super-duper-mother powers of persuasion. But to no avail. All of the sandals I liked were quickly brushed aside for those with Dora or Disney Princesses smiling up at us. "Hey, there! Come on and join our parade to take over the world with a smile! We like you!" If that wasn't enough they discovered that these particular sandals have lights that go off when ever you walk! A portable disco, or an invitation to have a seizure!

But apparently these sandals were a good investment for emergency situations. We tripped a fuse the other night (a common occurrence in this old house) which always sends the kids into a full-scale panic (drama for drama's sake is the life I live) and the next morning while getting ready for church my two year-old insisted that we find her light-up sandals "because if the lights go off we can turn on my sandals!"

9 comments:

  1. Have you seen that Disney's introduced a new food line? Maybe it's been around forever but suddenly Fred Meyer is carrying special Disney jello, granola bars and cereal. Great. Now they don't just want the light-up sandals but the Sleeping Beauty Niquil and the Snow White applesauce. They're geniuses . . . terrifying, but geniuses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we have that same scenario (minus feeding the baby on the floor) everytime we go shoe shopping. AAggghh to character shoes that light up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am awaiting a similar battle. So far we've done okay. He looks a the Cars and Thomas and Dora stuff, but I am able to leave without buying it. I'm not looking forward to the day when he puts up a fight for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow one more reason why i want light up shoes. how come they don't make the princess light up shoes in a size 7 1/2? weird!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I sigh with relief that there are no Fred Meyer stores around here!

    Also, Jodi, I bet if you really tried you could find some light-up shoes for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was visiting family in Provo this spring and they showed my 12 year-old daughter and me the DVD which cracked us up--my boys love the LOTER and go around saying, "I'm from Nau-voo" (CTR Wars).

    ReplyDelete
  7. P.S. I looked at your profile and Dandelion Wine and Henderson the Rain King are both on my to-read list, if they're that good maybe I'll have to move them to the top of the cue list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. At least they're good for something, eh? I cringe at the character stuff too and yet I want Laylee to get to choose for herself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very funny. Your girls say the funniest things. I have been that mom, too, so many times. I cringe when I think about those ugly shoes.

    ReplyDelete