Sunday, January 27, 2008

goodbye

Gordon B. Hinkley (1910-2008)

A man I love passed away this evening. He was my spiritual guide and leader. He was a righteous man; he was a prophet of God. As one of his disciples and apostles, President Gordon B. Hinckley was an example whose life pointed everyone towards Jesus Christ, including mine.

His teachings, love of people, leadership and his sense of humor, were guide posts of light as I travelled through my teen years and into young adulthood. I loved hearing him speak. He always encouraged people to do a little better, to try a little harder. And I hope that I have done that.

I have had the opportunity to be in the same room with him, big and small ones, on occasion. I have a favorite memory of being in the Conference Center in Salt Lake City (decidedly, a big room) and seeing him walk in. He waved to the masses with his cane, a signature gesture in his later years, and the Spirit went right through me, confirming that this humble man was indeed a prophet of God, a servant of the Lord.

I'm having difficulty saying what I'd like, and I'm sure others will be far more eloquent, but I am so grateful for him- who he was, what he stood for, what he accomplished and the profound affect he has had on my life. It seems he has always been a presence and I'm having a hard time comprehending a world without him. But I know he missed his wife, Marjorie (who passed away almost four years ago), so much, and tonight they are together once more.

Thank you, President Hinckley.

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully shared. He was a dear, dear man, a great example to all. Words can't exress how much he will be missed on this side, and I'm sure there are no words for the joy shared on the other side when he was reunited with his beloved wife.

    ReplyDelete