Tuesday, January 29, 2008

It's all fun and games until...

You know the old saying. Well the other day the baby decided it was time for some fun and games. At 3:30 a.m.

Normally, if she wakes up before or around midnight, or after 5:30 a.m., I am inclined to feed her before putting her back to bed. Anything in between is cry-it-out and get-over-it time. Except she wasn't having any of that.

She was angry and she was willing to wake up the entire household. I, on the other hand, wasn't willing to have the entire household awake, so I brought her to bed, fed her and when she was contented and full, she happily squirmed around and cooed and chuckled and when I was ready to take her back to her room she poked me right in the eye.

Ouch! It hurt like the dickens and I was convinced she'd managed to hit a strand of hair on her way into my pupil and had lodged it under my eyelid. I put her in (her) bed and managed to fall back asleep with my eye watering, too tired for any emergency surgery at the time.

When I awoke my eye still hurt. It felt awful. I spent the morning trying to coax whatever it was in my eye, to come out. I'm sorry to say it, but that eye poke completely incapacitated me. I spent the rest of the day in bed sleeping for the most part. It was nice, actually. Except for the whole, I-can't-see-out-of-my-right-eye-and-I'm-in-pain part.

I couldn't read anything out of that eye. Everything was blurry. Do you have any idea how much I read? Forget reading at the moment, actually. I was just interested in maintaining basic eyesight. I was a little panicked. After doing a little google-ing with one eye shut, I surmised that I had a scrapped or cut cornea, thanks to my daughter's aim. They actually said that this kind of injury was often due to small children poking one in the eye. Huh. Who knew?

Fortunately, as one of my home remedy books state, the eye heals it's self very quickly. I went to bed (and had no trouble sleeping as often happens when I nap into oblivion). By the next morning I could see clearly, without the feeling of sandpaper in my eye, and I was a happy camper.

A side bonus? I actually woke up chipper and with energy, thanks to my day sleeping. Obviously sleep-deprived. I guess, a blessing in disguise? Let that be a lesson to you: never look a poke horse in the eye. Or something.

1 comment: