Friday, February 15, 2008

star wars

For my 300th post, I bring you some news about our national security. From the New York Times, this headline:

Apparently there is a satellite in free-fall, and we're going to shoot it out of the sky! If you've seen all of the West Wing episodes, you will know that satellites occasionally falling to the earth are not totally uncommon. But this one apparently still has a lot of rocket fuel attached to it, and so posses more of a threat to our lives, etc.

As stated in the NY Times:
The effort will be a real-world test of the nation’s antiballistic missile systems and its antisatellite abilities, even though the Pentagon said it was not using the effort to test its most exotic weapons or send a message to any adversaries.
Pretty exciting, if you ask me.

3 comments:

  1. I also heard on some local news that they just don't want any of the satellite landing in the wrong country in case there is still sensitive material on it. Hmmm, go figure. It will be interesting to see what happens, though :) !!

    By the way, I have been reading the Alan Greenspan book, too ... thanks to your recommendation. So far I have really enjoyed it. I am about halfway done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard about that too (fellow NPR listener?) Made me wonder exactly how much danger we're talking here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear this on NPR today as well. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete