Friday, October 31, 2008

a confession

I'm not all that fond of Halloween. I'm just not.

Other interests and concerns, such as saving time and money, tend to overshadow the requirements of gathering together costumes and gigantic bags of sucrose for various events. I don't relish the idea of sending my kids out to ask for candy from neighbors, while I have to hand out candy to other kids who come a-calling around here.

At my daughter's preschool today they are, of course, having a Halloween party. Where you could bring treats. Just a suggestion! *smile, smile* Ack!

Just what we need! MORE SUGAR FOR THE DAY! Honestly, could the teacher just please hand out ONE treat to each child, say Happy Halloween and send them home without the makings of a sugar induced coma?

I sent Halloween pencils, instead.

Also, I just don't get that big of a kick out of the whole spooky whatever. Or as my kids would say: smooky. Which makes me like Halloween a little bit, because when something is smooky, how can you not smile just a little bit about that?

Our smooky pumpkins from last year.
Okay, I do like the pumpkin part of Halloween.

5 comments:

  1. Glad to hear I'm not the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha. I liked your pumpkins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am on the opposite end of the spectrum as you! Halloween may be my FAVORITE holiday (after St. Patrick's Day that is). But you make some very valid points!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I like smooky too. I'm not all that fond of spooky either. Luckily for us, our friends from church started their own Halloween party tradition on their farm and after our second year of attendence, I'm satisfied with doing Halloween their way - BBQ, homemade rootbeer, games, and trick or treating around the campfire til it's all gone. Did I mention the best part? Hangin out with other ADULTS while the kids play? Oh and stealing candy from my kids to satisfy that awful sweet tooth of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the costumes because I love dressing up! But I hate the scary stuff. I mean really REALLY hate, I mean what kind of mother lets their 4 year old dress up as a guy with an ax sticking out of his head? That's just asking for trouble if you ask me! And I hate the sugar, too. I also handed out non-candy treats. (pencils, stickers, etc.) And my kids go trick or treating at like 5 doors and call it good.

    ReplyDelete