Thursday, April 23, 2009

Personality Evaluation

I recently took a little online personality test. It wasn't too far off. Except that the results failed to take into account normal events like, well, LIFE for example.

Apparently my present stress is that I feel insufficiently valued. I'm not sure about that, except that kids always insufficiently value their parents, and since these days I spend about 99% of my time being mom, that's just how it goes.

I was told that I am over-imaginative and given to fantasy or day-dreaming. I think that may be hyperbole but if you don't day-dream some in your life, I feel sorry for you. If it said I spent too much time at the computer I might believe it.

I am told that I also want to be admired for my charm. Which, duh, is why I blog!

But here's the kicker. At the end of the assessment you're told what you're current inappropriate behavior is.

Oh my!

This is mine: Circumstances are forcing me to compromise, to restrain my demands and hopes, and to forgo for the time being some of the things I want.

Upon reading this I LAUGH OUT LOUD. Because, hello? I know very few people who don't have to restrain their demands and hopes in someway or another. It's called rolling with the punches. Or just rolling with it, period. Or self-control. Or not indulging in wanton gluttony! This is generally not a bad thing. Those I know who spend their time trying to satisfy their every desire are usually rather unhappy.

My overall review is this: This personality test is obviously unaware of the current economic condition and mood of the country.

Having someone giving you a pity pat and saying "you're life is sooo tough" isn't helpful. If you need to have a good cry go for it and then buck up. (I like the advice of a father to his son, a young Gordon B. Hinckley: "Son, forget yourself and go to work.")

Satisfying every last demand regardless of others is so yesterday.

Except that we keep feeling the effects of it today.

1 comment:

  1. How funny. I was just feeling sorry for myself when I read your post.

    ReplyDelete