Monday, March 8, 2010

{You don't want to miss!} Mea Culpa & {Coming right up!} an Academy Awards Speech


{I didn't say which academy award...}


The crazy week/weekend is over.

My first feeling this morning was whew! What needed to go well this weekend went fabulously, and was beautiful and wonderful and maybe I'll blog about it later this week if I get to it (I make no promises, however).

Previous to the wonderful weekend was a week of home improvement. We had (hooray!) a full-functioning bathroom by the time guests arrived for the weekend, except for the mirror. But in all that had to get done, I figured the mirror was the least essential (you may disagree).

However. I feel I was a less than gracious hostess. My mother-in-law was in town and she did the dishes while I hustled here and bustled there. And truly, despite the necessary hustle and bustle, where I should have been gracious and welcoming, I was probably preoccupied, tired and a little snappy. (Maybe I should scratch that 'probably' word.)

I am the first to admit that having guests is not my strongest suit. I am not a natural hostess. Indeed, on some days I may be inclined to claim a strong genetic influence, not just from the Danes, but from some hermit somewhere back in the family line who was lucky to even have married, not being one to ever get out and see anyone else.

It's not that I am anti-social. It's not that I can't enjoy the moment. It's not that I never want to see people. I do. I want to see people. I'd like to see you.

It's just that if the definition of introvert were based completely on whether one is drained or rejuvenated by being in company I will tell you that I am an Introvert. Capital I. I can enjoy the ride. I just need a nap afterward.

That said, in the spirit of the Academy Awards (which I never watch, but who can completely escape their influence?) I'd like to thank the following:

My husband, for helping to rearrange schedules for my benefit and peace of mind, for picking out a stellar sink faucet, for loving me, and for giving me a shoulder to cry on at the end of a day (not often needed, but wonderfully nice when it is).

For my oldest daughter who is great.

For my three other kids who were pretty good through everything (despite some moments and even though you are all tired and grumpy now).

For my brother and sister-in-law who were a Great Help. (Thank you. I love you both).

For the rest of the family who was there in body and/or spirit. (Thank you. I love you all, too.)

For my mother-in-law who really did do a lot of dishes in her short visit and who braved playing the Wii (and all that entails) in order to spend time with her grand kids.

For my dad for making it home in time and for my mom for surviving (despite some crazy painting tendencies that I have inherited).

And last, but not least, my son. Who has decided that maybe potty training isn't so bad, after all.

Bless you, all!

3 comments:

  1. In regards to being an introvert: Often on my way to a social function I feel trapped, slightly sick, and depressed. I try to concentrate on the fact that there will be very good food as a reward. But the trauma one has to go through in order to get the food, is rarely worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't even hear wrap up music... well said. Congrats and cheers to projects being finished!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all know where Allysha got those introverted genes from - and we know who she didn't get them from! (hahahaha)

    ReplyDelete