Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Quiet Time, Mostly

I've been getting up between 6 a.m. and 7 a.m. recently. I'd say waking up, but with a new baby I've been waking up at all hours. This morning I was certainly awake at 6 a.m. but decided to try and get a little more shut eye. I shut my eyes, but I think that's about all I got. I'd forgotten how noisy babies can be in their sleep. But the past four weeks have proven that babies don't have to be awake to keep you awake. Sleep deprivation: it's a lovely thing.

But there is something wonderful about being the only one up in the morning. Having a little bit of quiet time to think through a few things, read a few things, organize for the day. It's something I've always wanted to do, and these days I don't have much of a choice. By six o'clock Caleb has most certainly joined me in bed and is making little sniffing and snuffing noises. He sounds like a horse. A small horse to be sure, but still, a horse. My muscles are stiff and achy so getting up and moving around a little bit feels good.

In any case I am awake now. I think there are a few children stirring downstairs, which means they will all be stirring shortly. Time to marshall the ranks into getting their breakfast eaten and their jobs done. And maybe time to have a nice warm shower for my sore muscles.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, the pros and cons of early rising! So much depends (as w.c. williams would say) on the rest preceding the rising -

    ReplyDelete